Sunday, December 9, 2007

Online broadcasts (self-assessment)



There are many ways to improve listening skills. Recently we have tried one new method - online broadcast listening. So now I am going to overview advantages and disadvantages of this way of listening.
Firstly, it is important to mention that to me it was difficult to find a broadcast of proper length and level of English. However, I found some in this website: www.bbc.co.uk. I have listened broadcasts called “Black type” (about 15min) and “Sweet mother” (about 20min). The first one was about educational problems of black teenagers. There was a discussion if the education system is failing black teenagers or their attitude to education. The second one was about young mothers (schoolgirls). I liked these listening because topics were interesting. Moreover, it was very good that I could read everything what was said. It was important because listening was for native people.
Although it was for native people, there were just a few unknown words. However, speaking was fast so it wasn’t very easy to understand it. I didn’t use dictionary and tried to understand everything from the context – I think I was successful. Some cases were difficult to understand but after listening second time everything became clear. Both broadcasts were listened twice.
Finally, I can say that listening to online broadcasts is an interesting task however, it requires much time and some equipment (for instance, the Internet, speakers and so on). Nevertheless, the fact that tasks like this are useful is undeniable.

No comments: